02 August 2009

Trellis Bay to Cane Garden Bay

I wake up while it is still dark and can’t get back to sleep.  Within about half an hour the first fingers of light begin to creep around the curtains and I begin to drift off just as Mike gets up to make the tea.

This morning there is no wildlife to greet me, just my husband’s smiling face as he waits at the foot of the bed with my steaming cup of tea.  It is a sight I love every morning!

When I emerge from my cabin, Allison, John and Simon are up, breakfasted and organising their departure.  Mike notices that there is a squall showing on the radar and John brings forward their time for leaving the boat in order to avoid being caught by it with all their luggage in the dinghy.  We say our goodbyes.  It has been lovely having them here and I will see them when I get back to the UK (if Mike ever gets round to booking my ticket).  It takes two trips to get everyone and the bags ashore and Mike manages to get back to the boat just before the squall arrives.  I hope this means the others make it to the airport terminal before the heavens opened because it is quite some downpour.

Within half an hour or so, it has mostly died out and Mike takes all the rubbish ashore to the bins.  I am on Skype talking to Steve when he returns.  I see him get on the boat then a minute later I hear an almighty splash.  I know what a body hitting in the water sounds like - Simon has been provided me with that particular noise a dozen times a day over the last two weeks.  I rush out to find that Mike forgot to tie the dinghy to the boat when he came back and had to dive in for it.  Luckily he remembered to hold his glasses on.  I get back to Steve to tell him what happened, then hang up and phone Victoria to tell her as I know she will find this very amusing.  Parents who screw up are priceless laughter material.

We wait at Trellis Bay until about 1.15.  Their plane was due to take off at that time and sure enough, a Liat plane does leave around that time. 

IMGP1876 Photo:  Are they on this one?  Liat plane leaving Beef Island, Tortola

Whether they and/or their luggage are on it possibly a different matter but we wave anyway, then get the anchor up and sail to Cane Garden Bay.  We put the gennaker up to test the new halyard and it works beautifully.  Phew.

When we arrive there is hardly a bat in the bay, but we notice a Sunsail flotilla lead boat is in and sure enough, by 6pm, the bay is far more crowded.

We get ready to go to The Elm for the last barbecue of the season.  I decide to leave my hair curly to give everyone a laugh, except they don’t laugh – everyone seems to like it except me!

Anyway, the evening is great.  Mal and Candace are there, along with Gary and Terry, and Mal has brought his friends Steve and Angel Cropper and their kids who are staying with them at CRC for a few weeks.  Steve is the legendary writer/guitarist from Booker T and the MGs and The Blues Brothers, co-writer of such amazing hits as “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay” and “In the Midnight Hour”.  I spend some time chatting with Steve - he and his wife are lovely, really friendly.  Unfortunately the photo makes it looks like he is boring me to death – I blink as usual as it is taken!

IMGP1877Photo:  Chatting with legendary Steve Cropper

Steve gets up and plays with The Elmtones, performing  both the aforementioned hits.  It is absolutely brilliant.  Afterwards he poses with Mike and I and then signs Mike’s shirt next to the huge red wine stain which Malcolm has made on it.  Don’t ask me what they were doing when I wasn’t watching!

IMGP1883Photo:  The Elmtones accompanied by a guitar legend

IMGP1888Photo:  Mike and I with Steve Cropper 

Being last night at the Elms means that most have a lot to drink, including Mike, who becomes happily loud and wants to dance a lot. 

IMGP1898 Photo:  Malcolm, Candace and her bikini

By the end of the evening, just four of us are left to watch the Elmtones perform their last song, then Mike and I wander along the beach, me barefoot (another first – barefoot on sand at night).  I wonder whether Mike will make it onto the dinghy but he does.  I force him to drink lots of water and he falls asleep immediately his head hits the pillow.  Somehow I don’t think our planned early morning trip to the laundrette will take place!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I am still amazed with all your water and beach time you have gotten in. Feet in the sand and all????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an amazing evening! I wish I had been there to see Mike dancing! I had to chuckle when I read about Malcolm and the huge red wine stain..some things never change! I miss you all...

    Heather
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete