08 August 2009

Marigot, Day 2

Mike and I wake up early when we hear a gentle tapping on our door.  It’s Ann telling us that she is going ashore to the loo and didn’t want us to worry about who it was wandering about outside.  As we were asleep at the time, we were unlikely to worry about this anyway!  Still, it’s a good prompt for Mike to get up and make the tea.

Ann and Terry’s friends, Vivienne and David, are due to arrive from Antigua at 7.15 so we presume they will be with us by 8.15.  They arrive a bit later than that as the traffic is awful coming through Marigot.

Alice, Kat and I go off in search of croissants and the like for breakfast.  It’s only as we get to the centre of Marigot that I realise I have no idea where the nearest bakery is.  Eventually we find one.  It’s like three kids in a sweetie shop.  We buy raison croissants, chocolate twist croissants, almond croissants, brioche and French bread.  Yum.

August2005 001 Photo:  Ann, Vivienne, David and myself in the cockpit of Jeannius

Mike goes off to arrange a hire car then goes to the chandlery to see if he can order a new inverter for the electrical system.  When he comes back he is very pleased as it turns out that ElecTec is the agent for the old inverter and we can get it fixed by them.  Much cheaper than buying a new one.  The problem is that the old one is still very much fixed in and Mike doesn’t like messing with electrics, so he arranges for Per, our Swedish electrician/technical guy to come over and remove it.

With time to spare before Per arrives, Mike takes Ann, Vivienne and myself food shopping.  I don’t know what is wrong with the traffic in Marigot this morning but it takes us nearly an hour to get to the large Grande Marche supermarket just outside Phillipsburg.  We grab a huge trolley and start the rounds.  At the checkout, Vivienne and Ann nearly have heart failure as they look at the total, before I explain that the total is in NAFs not US dollars.

Whatever was wrong with the traffic has now sorted itself out and we get back to the boat much quicker.  Packing the shopping away has got to be an art, but I seem to have perfected it and with a bit of jiggery pokery, everything is stowed.

Per arrives just as we are having lunch.  After taking a close look at the piece of equipment in question, he announces that the broken thing isn’t an inverter at all but a shore power electrical surge protector thing.  We need a new inverter after all.  Bugger!

IMGP1950 Photo:  Claude and Zach, staff at Marina Fort Louis

In the afternoon, Terry and David take Alice and Kat to the beach for a swim and a beer, Mike and Vivienne go to bed (not together as far as I am aware), Ann cleans and I wander off to buy some nail polish.  I find some lovely shops in the process and try some clothes on but am horrified at the sight of myself in a full length mirror.  This is the first time I have seen myself since leaving the UK in April and I appear to have put most of my weight back on – all those BBCs!  No more of those for me – well, at least no more after I have finished the current bunch of bananas!

IMGP1954 Photo:  Jeannius on the dock at Marina Fort Louis

In the evening we have a lovely meal at O Plongoir.

IMGP1949Photo:  Terry, Vivienne and a huge bottle

No comments:

Post a Comment