31 August 2009

Simpson Bay Lagoon, Day 1

As soon as I wake up, my immediate thought is ‘where’s the weather system now?’  I call to Mike for my cup of tea and he fills me in.  There is no real change which is good and bad.  Good because it hasn’t intensified and been given a number, let alone a name.  Bad because it is still heading here according to some of the models.

Mike goes to Island Water World to pick up the new ridiculously expensive bit of electronic kit, the inverter and before he returns, Per, our marine electronics guy, arrives to start looking at our electrics.  Brave man!

We have lots of problems at the moment.  The fridge is constantly on but never seems to get really cold, although the freezer is fine.  The lights are manic.  Sometimes they come on in the salon and the port fore cabin, and sometimes they don’t.  Some of it is down to loose connections ie in the port fore head, if the lights don’t come on you thump the cupboard door and on they come – obviously a loose connection there.  But in the salon you have to keep switching them on and off and then suddenly they’re OK.  Sometimes switching on other lights helps them to jump into life – the more current going through the electrics the better, but it really pisses me off having to mess around all the time.  Hopefully Per will start to sort it out, as well as dealing with the inverter problems.

Mike gets back and they start sorting out some of the wiring.  Circuit boards are hidden behind panels and in tiny cupboards.  Finding anything is a nightmare, let alone fixing it.  The air conditioning is not on and the boat is like a sauna.  We all sweat buckets.  Lovely.

As usual, a discovery leads to the requirement for more pieces of marine equipment to be purchased so Mike and Per go off to Budget Marine before Per has to leave for another appointment, promising to be back in the morning – as long as there’s no hurricane!

I spend the afternoon going from weather charts to my sudoko.  I can’t settle to anything and the boat is in disarray.  We have had to dismantle one of the cabin beds to get to the electrics and there is stuff all over the place.  I am so looking forward to Johanne and Steve coming out and now the boat is a complete mess - I don’t know how I will get it back together before they arrive, especially if the weather worsens and we have to strip it down tomorrow.  I try to catch up with my computer work but keep losing internet connection which is frustrating.

In the evening I wait restlessly for the weather updates at 8pm.  The situation is slightly improved.  The weather system still hasn’t got a number or name, and being only 36 to 48 hours away, even if it hits land here, it hasn’t got much time to develop.  I go to bed hoping that tomorrow it will go away!  Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment