19 August 2009

Anse a l’Ane, Day 2

Today starts off badly, for me anyway.  It’s one of those days when I have nothing really to do and boredom sets in.  After years of working to a schedule, having goals, having ‘stuff’ to do by a certain date or on a certain day, suddenly having time on my hands to do nothing, is disconcerting and unsettling.  Mike has no problem with this.  He has almost perfected the art of doing nothing, if nothing is what he happens to wants to do.  He luxuriates in having nothing to do.  I just get homesick and tearful.

On top of that, it’s just so dammed hot.  There is not a breath of wind today.  Sultry is the word.  Even if there was something I wanted to do, I doubt if I could summon the energy to do it.

By 2 in the afternoon, I am ready to tear my hair out.  Mike sits back calmly, unfazed by my mental restlessness.  In fact, he is bemused by it.

Suddenly I hit upon something to do.  His ‘boat stuff’ cupboards are a complete mess.  Every time he wants something he near enough has to drag everything out, then spends ages putting it all back again.  We’ll organise it – together.  We have to do it together as I don’t know what half the things are!  Immediately I am occupied, I am happy again.  We spend nearly three hours doing one cupboard then it’s time for tea and telly.  Phew.  I achieve something!

In my burst of activity I fail to notice my mobile has been buzzing and it’s not until we check our e-mails before bed that we realise Victoria has been trying to get in touch to tell us that she has passed her second year exams.  We go to bed as proud parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment