12 April 2010

Day 97: Nuku Hiva, Marquesas – 12/04/10

I don’t know where the morning goes but most of it disappears without my noticing its passing.  All I know is that about 11.00 am Mike suddenly announces that we have to go shopping before the shops shut at 11.30 am – what sort of ridiculous time is that?  I hurriedly get ready, grab my shopping bags and get into the dinghy.

Walking along the road, it’s easy to spot the Brits!  There I am with my Sainsbury’s recycled bag and I see a woman with a Tesco’s one.  The supermarkets are better stocked than on Hiva Oa but still incredibly expensive.  We exchange our rather ‘lively’ moth-ridden box of cereal with no problem and buy a few basic groceries, mindful not to buy anything too heavy as we have to walk a long way with it in the heat.

On the way back, I go into the Artisans’ shop for a look around but it is very expensive, and there is little I like anyway.  I realise that the carved wooden ‘tikis’ that I saw on Fatu Hiva were much better value than the ones on display here, and of better quality.  Not that I really wanted one.  I am actually looking for a little carved box but can see none that I like.

We see Fionn, who is now working for the Blue Water Rally, but used to work for the World Cruising Club – we met him in the BVIs last May.  What a small world.

After making Mike a huge pile of sandwiches, I also make him caramelized bananas – ripe bananas fried in butter, sugar and rum served with honey.  It’s one way of getting some more fruit down him.

Marie from Dreamcatcher comes over and helps us raft up to Tucanon.  Irene and Dick have kindly offered to fill up our water tanks for us, pumping the water straight from their tank into ours with their hose.  This is is much easier than the five or six trips we would have had to have made with our eight empty water bottles and I cannot thank them enough.

IMGP2975 Photo:  A better kind of filling station – Tucanon

At least we know we will have pure water – much better than the dubious stuff out of some of the islands’ water supplies.  We move off and anchor yet again, feeling much more relaxed now that we have a full tank of water.

Chessie arrives in the early afternoon and later on I spot Brown Eyed Girl coming back into the anchorage – with Judith and my camera.  I have an outing in the dinghy, taking Marie back to Dreamcatcher then getting myself over to see Judith.  It’s lovely to see her – it has taken her four days and countless flights to get here from Florida.  We sit and chat for a while and she hands me over my camera – ecstasy.  I know I shouldn’t love an inanimate object but I do, although it vies for my affections with my netbook!  We are about to go out to dinner when a wave of exhaustion hits Judith and we decide instead to hire a car and go out to explore the island together tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment