03 April 2010

Day 88: Tahuata, Marquesas – 03/04/10

I wake up sweaty, hot and with a bit of a hangover.  Although I didn’t drink much last night, Mike and I didn’t have time for dinner and I probably didn’t drink enough water.  That’s my excuse anyway.

We decide that we will do little today except hang around.  Susan and David offer to fill any water bottles we have so I empty as many as I can into the tank and we go over there to fill up.  On the way, we take the dinghy round the bay for a bit of a blast to burn off any oil from the spark plugs as it has only been ticking over the last few times it has been used.  On the way over to Voyageur, we stop at to say hello to Marie and Charles on Dreamcatcher, and they too offer us bottle refills and showers later on.

We chat for a while with Susan and David and find out their plans for the next weeks or so as we will probably join in with the little convoy going to the Tuamotos.

When we get back to Jeannius, we cut the outboard motor and pull ourselves underneath so that we can look at the drainage holes that Mike drilled to let out the condensation from under the floor of the salon, as we have noticed a tiny bit of water in the galley and Mike is concerned that the plug in one of the holes has lost its filling.  Although the floor is three foot above sea level, when the waves pound it as we are sailing, a small amount of water is possibly being forced in.  Inspecting the holes necessitates us lying down in the dinghy and pushing ourselves along with our arms and feet.  We must look ridiculous to anyone who can actually see us.

Mike does a couple of little jobs that have been hanging around for a while, including the hole filling, then it’s lunch and nap time.

At sunset I take a few more bottles over to Dreamcatcher for filling and take a shower and hairwash there.  Mike doesn’t come as he says I am being ridiculous not using the water in our tank, but I am paranoid of running out in a place where we cannot replenish it.  As penance for being a wimp, I take the dinghy myself and put put very slowly over there, shouting for Charles to catch me if I turn the handle the wrong way and end up hurtling out to sea!  I don’t, and my shower is very nice, although as it is taken on a monohull, I do notice it moves!!  I point this out to Marie and Charles just in case they haven’t noticed!

I cook bolognaise using the new supply of soya mince (very strange colour – looks like sawdust before it’s cooked!) and Mike and I watch TV in the stern cabin, the only place where we can have the air conditioning on, then have an early night as we are setting the alarm for 5.30 tomorrow morning for our sail to Fatu Hiva.

No comments:

Post a Comment