26 May 2010

Day 141: Rarotonga, Cook Islands – 26/05/10

OK.  Yesterday we did nothing so we decide to do a lot more today, which of course isn’t difficult.

Mike goes off to rent a motor scooter.  We must be mad.  After what happened to Donal on Monday the rest of us should have learned our lesson, but obviously not.  Mike comes back with our Yamaha 125cc which I eye with more than a small amount of trepidation.  I have only been on the back of anything once, my brother-in-law’s motor bike (obviously a lot bigger and more powerful than this) but I remember that I clutched him very tightly around the middle and had my eyes shut most of the time, and he only took me about two miles.

The news of the World ARC boats’ arrival has got around and the local TV station turn up to film us all.  Jim from Ocean Jasper is the only one on the quay when they arrive so he gets interviewed.  Mike turns up with the scooter and Jim tries to get him involved but Mike scuttles away before they can get him.

I get off the boat (no mean feat at the moment I can tell you as the northerly wind is creating quite a swell) and up the ladder of death, the cycle of torture is waiting for me – daring me to climb on!

P1010148 Photo:  Proof that I am genuinely stupid!

I tell Mike that if he does wheelies or skids he is dead meat, and off we go to see Donal in the hospital.  He has umpteen stitches in his head and face but to be honest, looks a lot better than we expected.  We spend some time with him but when he gets tired we leave him to have a sleep.

We start to go round the island.  We haven’t realised until we get to the Waterline Bar quite how late it is but when we arrive they have just stopped serving lunch as it is 2 pm.  However, drinks are still being served so we have a couple of rounds and chat to the owner.  It really is a beautiful spot and we are so glad that Janine and Mark introduced us to it.

P1010153 P1010154 P1010156 Photos:  Back at the Waterline Bar

We ride off again (and by this time, after a couple of glasses of SB on an empty stomach I’m starting to feel pretty mellow and relaxed about being on the back of the scooter) and as we go along the coast road we spot Marie waving frantically.  We stop.  She and Charles have joined the crew of Ronja on an island tour and have stopped for a refreshment break but the bar is just closing as we arrive.  We chat for a few minutes then head off down the road again. 

We spot a lovely beach and stop for a while.  There is a hanging rope and after a short walk down the beach, I realise I can’t ignore the photo opportunity!

P1010160 P1010161 P1010194 Photos:  Posing on the beach

But we are still hungry and it’s now 4 pm.  We get back on the bike and eventually find a swanky resort called The Little Polynesian that serves tapas from 4 to 6 pm ……. and wine.  It is a very pretty, bijoux resort.  The food is wonderful and the waiters, who seem to be of dubious sex are very friendly.

P1010234 P1010240 Photos:  Beautiful backdrop at The Little Polynesian

Three glasses of wine later I am feeling more than a little mellow and I’m surprised that Mike is able to keep me on the bike without nailing me to the seat.   He manages to get me back to the port and manhandle me into the dinghy and onto Jeannius without mishap.

I have more than a few happy moments today.  I have been taught that you need to register these as they happen as they are all too easy to forget.  Thank you, my teacher.  You know who you are!

2 comments:

  1. So very glad my darling that you are having happy moments on your great adventure ,long may they continue, save some for when we are next together .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all look great and the island fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete