10 May 2010

Day 125: Raiatea – 10/05/10

We decide to go snorkelling today so to build us up (like we need it?) Carole makes a hearty breakfast.  Scrambled eggs, bacon and haggis.  Yes, that’s right – haggis!  Carole (a good Yorkshire lass who live in Scotland) has brought a tin of it with her and as Mike and I are haggis virgins, we are told we have to try it.

While she cooks, I put on a load of washing.  Mike and John get the first serving as obviously both us girls are busy!

P1000853 Photo:  Mike tucks into a hearty breakfast

By the time mine is ready, Mike has finished his and pronounced this particular brand of tinned haggis as extremely delicious.  I eye it somewhat suspiciously but I’m game.

P1000855 Photo:  Haggis, and not a sheep’s stomach in sight

I have to say I agree.  It’s lovely.

By the time the second load of washing is out to dry it’s almost 12.30 pm so we get into our snorkel gear and are about the leave when a motor boat speeds over to the island, and the hounds of the Baskervilles (the pack of dogs on the island) go berserk.  This time, however, their tails are wagging and Carole correctly surmises that the owners, or workers, are arriving.  We wait to see if the arrivals are eaten or licked (they are licked excitedly) then figure that it’s safe to get in the dinghy and go round to the other side of the motu.

DSCF1620Photo:  The water’s clarity makes seeing the bottom easy

DSCF1621 DSCF1623 DSCF1624 Photos:  Proof that I go snorkelling

I am the first one over the side of the dinghy.  The water is clear and warm and I immediately swim off to the nearest head of coral.  The coral formations are actually more impressive than the fish, which, although lovely and with amazingly bright colours, are no more impressive than those I have seen elsewhere.  The brain coral is the largest I have ever seen.  In fact, it looks like it has been manufactured out of concrete and stuck there for the tourists.

We swim around for some time, searching for nice shells (we only find mangy ones – all the good ones are for sale in the shops!).  What I had forgotten, though, is that getting out of the dinghy into the sea is easy;  getting out of the sea and into the dinghy, however, is something else!   Mike has thoughtfully put down the rope ladder, but when I try to use it my legs just go straight under the dinghy.  He tries to pull me over the side but I am laughing so hysterically he gives up.  In the end I settle for standing on the propeller of the outboard motor and throwing myself over the top, landing in a twisted but still giggling heap.  By the time we get back to Jeannius half the afternoon has gone and the crew panic because they’ve missed lunch.  A quickly thrown together meal of cold meats, cheese, crisps and olives soon quieten them down though, then it’s off for an afternoon kip!

By the time I wake up, it’s dark and John is preparing dinner (I really will be the size of a house!).  We have confit of duck, red cabbage with ginger and mashed potato, then sit and watch some comedy TV before collapsing back into bed.  It really is all go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment