15 May 2010

Day 130: Bora Bora – 15/05/10

Thank God – another sunny day.  Carole and John head into town early as Carole is leaving today and wants to do some last minute shopping.  Mike and I follow a little bit later after the morning broadcast.  The half an hour (yeah, right, who told us that then?) walk seems like a good idea as we have had little exercise, but even at 9.30 am the heat is oppressive and it is an extremely sweaty walk. 

We cross the road from side to side, partly to find patches of shade, but also to be on the opposite side of the road to any bend so that we can see what’s coming.  The drivers hurtle round the corners here and seem to save overtaking for when there is no visibility at all.  Add to that the numerous motorbikes and push bikes – oh and no pavements.  You also have to brave all the holes where the land crabs live – many of which you can see scuttling as you approach.

However, I have to say that the humblest of abode is well tended on the outside.  The gardens and driveways are well presented with pretty plants and hedging, and we see quite a few people cleaning the beach which front their properties on the opposite side of the road.  We are nearly all the way into town before we see the first beer can by the side of the road.  Pretty impressive.

In town there are many, many pearl shops.  I look in a few of them and watch as Mike’s eyes glaze over.  Why do I need to look at pearls when I have already bought mine.  But looking doesn’t hurt – until you get to the Robert Wan shop!  I visited his museum in Papeete – he is the master of pearls in Polynesia, and I can’t believe my luck when Mike agrees to enter his establishment here in Bora Bora, just to look you understand!  And look I do.  And try on.  And find a bracelet I like.  And get 20% discount, two hats and a pen.  I think Mike is just relieved that I am not interested in the single pearl which cost 5,000,000 cpf (about £35,000) although I dare say that a spell in a darkened room in on the cards for him later.  My two very attentive male salesmen (Yannick and Marcus) relieve me of my credit card while Mike goes off to enjoy himself in a chandlery.

P1000991 Photo:  More pearls – joy oh joy!!

The walk back to the Yacht Club is even more tortuous than the walk into town.  By now it is almost midday and we roast as we drag ourselves along the road but eventually we make it and meet Carole and John in the bar for a drink.

P1000981 P1000984 Photos:  At the Bora Bora Yacht Club, Jeannius in the distance

Carole and John leave around 4 pm to get Carole to the airport, and as one friend leaves, another arrives – Brown Eyed Girl with Judith, Joe and Jared pull into the anchorage.  I go over to their boat for a drink but decline to go out to Bloody Mary’s, the famous bar along the bay.  Mike and I stay in, doing some research on the next two stops, wondering whether to join in with the rally or do our own thing with Brown Eyed Girl until we get to Tonga in a couple of weeks.  We will decide tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment