01 May 2010

Day 116: Tahiti to Moorea – 01/05/10

Feeling only very slightly hung over (much to my surprise), I set Skype up and call Johanne to let her know how much money I have spent on her pearls.  I put the web cam on and model them for her although this doesn’t really show the colour.

P1000561 Photo:  Johanne’s new necklace

We get the boat ready for sailing.  John makes a really good job of cleaning the decks and Carole makes pancakes for breakfast.  I finish off the last bit of washing, we stow the washing machine away, fill up the water tank and eventually by mid morning we are ready to leave.

It is a really pleasant sail over to Moorea, only 16 miles away, very gentle for Carole’s first introduction to a catamaran.  She can’t believe that she can make tea and put the pot and cups on the cockpit table without them going everywhere!  We have a maximum of 12 knots on the way over and average about 6 knots.

P1000535 Photo:  Moorea

We sail along the north coast of the island, heading for the opening in the reef at Cooks Bay.  Like Fatu Hiva in the Marquesas, the scenery here is dramatic and beautiful.  The ocean crashes with only small rollers onto the reef, although there are still lots of surfers hanging around in the water waiting for the larger ones.

The sheer, craggy cliffs come right down to the water, palm trees and other vegetation clinging precariously to them.

P1000543 Photo:  Waiting for a roller, a surfer lurks in the water

P1000551 Photo:  Anchorage at Cooks Bay

Some of the WARC boats are already in and we circle around looking for a good spot.  Mike finally chooses one and I put the anchor down.  We wait anxiously but there is no nasty grounching noise to give us a hint that we have hit coral.  Then we wait to see if the anchor settles.  Although there is no vibration in the anchor chain, immediately Mike puts one of the engines into reverse, we go backwards, so up comes the anchor, this time with tons of soft gloopy mud attached to the chain.  Ah, that’s the problem – from one extreme to the other, bloody coral to soft mud.  I take the chain up again and we move, then put it all back down.  This time it holds firm and I quickly scuttle back into the shade as it is really hot.  John hoses the chain down with the salt water hose – it really is a disgusting mess.

P1000555 Photo:  Job done, I get back into the shade

We have a late lunch but I overcook and we are all totally stuffed!  This of course means that we have a nap afterwards.  None of us are hungry when it comes to dinner time and we sit and compare videos and pictures of the trip so far.  It’s so funny seeing John’s pictures of almost exactly the same things.  By 9 pm we are all peckish though so I knock up a quick salad.  By 10 pm everyone except me is tucked up in bed.  I am still writing the blog and don’t finish until 11.30 pm when Mike gets up and practically drags me to bed – and I still haven’t finished.

 

Our position is:  17 deg 30 min S, 149 deg 49 min W

Distance so far:  6642 nautical miles

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the pearls are just incredible! I love each necklace you have picked for different reasons. How can you ever have too many? I can just imagine how Johanne's feels around your neck. It looks cool and weighted. I would have loved to have walked to the museum and store with you. And the market..I bet you are so happy to have access to fresh veggies and fruit!

    I hope all gets sorted with Jeannius. Fair winds and much love.

    Heather
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete