05 January 2010

St Lucia Day 8

When I wake up I feel very slightly better but with the rally starting tomorrow we decide that I really need to see a doctor.  Mike has people coming to deal with the shroud  ie fit a new one so Jim takes me down the road to the walk-in medical centre.

On the way we meet Irene from Toucanon and walk with her as far as the supermarket.  At least I can walk today.  Yesterday I would probably have fallen into the road!

AT the doctor’s I fill in a questionnaire then a few minutes later I am ushered in to see a very nice lady who proceeds to scare the life out of me.  I describe the dizziness and disorientation and once she gets it into her head that I am not drunk (!) she starts talking about strokes and CT scans (costing $10000) and delaying the trip tomorrow.  By the time she does my blood pressure it has gone up but an ECG proves that I am quite all right and numerous blood tests show that I am not anaemic or diabetic!!

So, basically after spending $260 I am none the wiser although she does give me a prescription for antibiotics and stuff to stop the dizziness (which are actually like sea sickness tablets).  I think it was all a little over the top but at least we know I am fit and healthy.  Obviously just a dizzy blonde!

I have to pay the doctor’s bill in cash as their machine isn’t working and neither is the ATM nearby – it’s a good job Jim is with me!

Next stop is shopping.  We get the basic groceries from the supermarket nearby and get the bus back to the marina.  Mike is still hanging around waiting for work to be done although it does now look like we will get away on time with the rest of the fleet.

Jim and I go shopping again, this time down to the mall to see if we can get some presents for the children on the San Blas islands.  We have been told that they are rather partial to balloons so that is what we get, plus a trolley load of groceries from another supermarket.  The problem is that many of the shops haven’t been restocked since before Christmas so the shelves are a bit bare.  We meet Judith and the crew from Brown Eyed Girl and share a cab back.  It’s only $5 EC a head but he charges $10 EC for the groceries!!

Back on Jeannius, all the work is finished.  The shroud is in place so at least the mast will stay up now.  By the late afternoon I feel much better and am now convinced that it was just the stress of getting everything ready.  Probably the shock of paying all that money out did the trick!

Mike goes off to yet another briefing and Jim and I are able to lounge around until it is time to get ready for the World ARC Farewell Party hosted by the WCC at a nearby hotel.  All the food and drink is provided and I even spot champagne cooling in a bucket behind the bar which not many people do so Carole and I make some inroads into it, although I am being rather careful due whatever it was that was wrong.  I don’t want to disgrace myself by falling into the pool.

P1010507

Photo:  Carole (with a large glass of champagne) and John from S/Y Eowyn

P1010508

Photo:  Marie-Anne and Matthieu from S/Y Noeluna

A show is put on for us which is pretty spectacular although my camera doesn’t do it justice.  A trio perform dance, fire-eating and limbo dancing.

P1010382

P1010405

P1010452

P1010473

P1010505

 Photos:  The St Lucia All Stars in action

It’s not a late night.  I don’t think anyone wants a hangover tomorrow!  As we make our way back, we spot the WCC team leaving.

P1010509

Photo:  Paul, Chris, Suzanna and Andrew from the WCC

No comments:

Post a Comment