31 January 2010

Day 26: Panama to Ecuador – 31/01/10

Mike wakes up not being able to hear properly, a result of last night’s loud music.  At least that’s his excuse for ignoring me when I talk to him!

We leave Panama City around 9 am and start the sail to the Las Perlas islands.  Well, I say sail.  There’s not a breath of wind, the sea is like a mill pond and we motor through the haze.  It’s almost eerie.  We are going so slowly that Mike puts out the fishing line and twice it goes out but we catch nothing on either occasion.

I go to get some bread out of the freezer and discover that it has stopped working again.  Mike wiggles the wire and it starts up immediately so we know it’s not a major problem, apart from the mountain of chicken Jim and I will now have to cook to stop us from being poisoned as it is now in a semi thawed state.  Mike and I will just have to try to remember to check the dammed thing twice a day.  Mmmm.  I think I said this last time and we did it for a while then forgot!  That’ll teach us.

Mike and Jim put out the new sail arrangement – two genoas on the same furling gear so that we can goose wing them in light winds.  The arrangement seems to work well, although the wind is so light it’s difficult to really tell.  At least nothing breaks, always a good sign.

P1020279 Photo:  Two genoas for the price of one

I decide to watch one of the films on my new hard drive and settle myself down.  A girlie film seems a good idea and I select ‘An Officer and a Gentleman” so I can dribble over a young Richard Gere.  When he strides through that factory in his white uniform with those snake hips, it works for me every time.  As usual, I end up in tears which Mike and Jim find amusing when I emerge from my cabin red eyed and sniffing.

While I have been salivating over Richard, we have arrived at Contadora Island.  This tiny island (only three times longer than its airport runway apparently) looks lovely from the boat and we will explore ashore tomorrow.

Jim prepares tonight’s dinner.  Chicken naturally.   He has to change his plans for it though as we are out of the soy sauce he needs for the stir fry.  We have teriyaki chicken and egg fried rice instead.

Our position is:  8 deg 37 min N, 79 deg 02 min W

Distance so far:  1337 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment