28 June 2010

Day 173: Fiji – 28/06/10

Our little Indian lady turns up at the dock at 7.30 am with our chicken rotis.  She doesn’t have any change (no surprise) so Mike ends up buying some more pumpkin ones too.  The engineers don’t arrive first thing and I begin to panic, but by the time I’ve been to the supermarket and bought a few things and come back, they have arrived and are working away.

I go to the spa and book some beauty treatments – an all over exfoliating sugar rub, a back massage and a pedicure.  I need some pampering.  As I am having three treatments, I negotiate a discount, expecting 10% but am offered 20%.  This means that all three treatments come to a total of about £55, a bargain in comparison to what it would cost in the UK.

A Lady arrive and Dreamcatcher, Ronja and Wild Tigris leave, then suddenly I spot Jutta and Jochem walking towards the dock.  I am so pleased to see these two from Chessie.  They have been stuck in Tahiti for six weeks having repairs done to their sail (it shouldn’t have taken so long but in usual workman fashion, it dragged out).  In the end they came straight to Fiji from Tahiti, missing out the Cook Islands, Niue and Tonga.

I wander up the dock later on to see Jutta and Jochem, and give them a pumpkin roti as I know they like Indian food.  I come back with their notebook for Mike to look at as it has stopped working and all their photos of the trip so far are on it.

The chicken curry rotis (I actually thought I had ordered chicken curry not chicken curry rotis) are not up to her pumpkin standards but we eat them for lunch anyway.

I go along to the spa just before 4 pm and take a shower before she starts – you get hot and sweaty just walking a short distance and I can’t bear the thought of the therapist touching me like that.  I have the all over sugar rub first, which is literally all over, breasts and all.  It’s a good job that I experienced this once before in India otherwise I would have shot off the table with shock.  Then came the back massage – probably the best one I have ever had, then the pedicure.  It was a total treat, a lovely place and very good value.  I manage to resist the sales pressure of the she-boy who runs the reception and just buy the one tub of body cream which I want anyway. 

I’m amazed to find that it’s dark when I leave.  When I arrive back at Jeannius I am greeted by a pretty despondent Mike.  The generator starts and cranks out the electricity but when it was first turned on, it shot out 205 volts (it’s meant to produce 120 volts) then settled on about 150 volts.  That is no use.  Something is wrong somewhere and Vi has gone away scratching his head, promising to return in the morning.  Neither Mike nor I are hungry but in order to cheer Mike up I offer to go and buy him some ice cream on my way to just say hi to Jutta and Jochem on their boat.  Mike tells me not to get on board Chessie.  He know that if I do, it will be ages before I leave because I will end up having a glass of wine and then the ice cream shop will be closed.

Saying hi does entail getting on board and having a glass of wine but I insist on leaving after 20 minutes or so and get to the supermarket, only to discover that they do not close at 8 pm as I had thought but somewhat earlier so I leave empty handed and have to disappoint Mike.  I just hope the generator gets fixed tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment