02 June 2010

Day 148: Niue – 02/06/10

Mike and I decide that today is a day for doing jobs around the boat but at a leisurely pace.  We have lots of water so I tackle the mound of sheets and towels that have accumulated.

Unfortunately, a trip to the freezer reveals that for some reason, it has turned itself off and all my newly acquired raw tiger shrimp are now rapidly defrosting, all three kilos of them, along with some chicken.  Now I have to do a massive cook up to save them all.  So there I am for the next few hours, backwards and forwards between the shrimp in the galley and the totally un-automatic love of my life in the cockpit.  Fun times.  I hate boats!

Mike, meanwhile, tackles the windlass.  He strips it down completely, cleans it out, puts it back together and discovers it still slips.  He concludes that a new pin is needed (which we don’t have) but it is not essential for now as we don’t need to anchor in our next port of call, and hopefully he can buy a new pin there.

I am filling up the washing machine for the umpteenth time when the generator suddenly stops.  No warning.  No spluttering.  No ominous rattling.  Just ……. nothing.  Mike gets up to investigate, looking at me as he passes.  “I didn’t do anything” I shout, automatically defensive.  It’s usually me armed with a hairdryer that causes this sort of thing but today I am innocent.  Amazingly, it comes straight back on when he starts it up, only to go off an hour later in exactly the same way.  This is not good, but tomorrow he is going to service it anyway so let’s hope this sorts it out.

Matthieu from Noeluna calls on the VHF to invite us for a drink, which we accept – we haven’t seen them since Bora Bora and then it was only a quick chat.  I am in the shower getting ready to go out when I hear Mike chattering away outside in the cockpit.  It’s Heidi from Wild Tigris inviting us to their boat for cocktails this evening.  Invitations are like buses.  You go a few days then they all come together!! 

Matthieu comes to pick us up and take us over to Noeluna.  It’s lovely to see them all but disappointing to hear that both Marie-Ann and Marguerite were really ill on the last trip.

P1010349 Photo:  On board Noeluna

Noeluna are leaving after supper tonight so we don’t stay too long but wish them bon voyage and Matthieu brings us back to Jeannius.

After a supper of shrimp (what else?) we watch some TV and head off to bed, hopeful that the generator will behave itself tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment