31 August 2010

Day 237: Darwin, Australia – 31/08/10

I don’t sleep too badly – the drugs help!  When I wake in the morning I slowly wriggle my back from side to side then roll my legs around.  I hear a satisfying click – maybe that’s good?

Mike hears strange noises like lines being rearranged and gets up to investigate.  The huge fishing boat on the opposite side of the pontoon needs to get out and we are proving to be an obstruction so they move our boat back a few feet to give them a bit more room to manoeuvre in.  We will have to turn Jeannius around properly.

I have to get up for my cup of tea as I can’t sit up in bed – it’s too uncomfortable.

Heidi, Casey and their friends Henry and Kim, come over to help us turn Jeannius round.  Mike takes a line out to the piles in the water and attaches it then Heidi winches the line until we have turned 90 degrees and are now stern to.  Unfortunately it means that the gangplank of death has to make an appearance and in my wobbly state passing over it is not something I contemplate happily.

P1030639 Photo:  Jeannius now the right way round!

We have to go to see the customs people to complete the check out procedures.  Heidi has a car and gives Mike and I a lift there.  The procedures are completed quickly and the walk back probably does me good.  Mike then takes himself off to the local chandlery and comes back with two new fenders, an assortment of boat bits and pieces and  an AIS system.  This is the piece of technology that will help us identify ships that appear to be about to run us down ie the name of the ship, the speed and course and how long it will be until they hit you if you do happen to be on a collision course.  Obviously the aim of the equipment is to help you take evasive action!  We both wish we had had this from the beginning but as they say, better late than never!

We walk down to the local fish and chip place for lunch and on our way back stop at a couple of the fish markets to look at the local produce.  We sample three different types of prawns and are amazed at the difference tastes and textures – all yummy though.

P1030637 Photo:  Frances Bay Mooring Basin known affectionately as the Duck Pond

P1030641 Photo:  Fishing boats with skyscrapers in the distance

P1030638 Photo:  Our fishing boat neighbours along the pontoon

After the walking I need a lie down and Mike sits and plays with, sorry, installs his new software.  The it’s time for the skippers’ briefing for the next leg.  Heidi has told me that there are laundry facilites there so I pack up a bag and she picks me up and delivers me there.  Mike has to walk as there’s not enough room in the car for him.

P1030642 Photo:  The skippers’ briefing

P1030644 Photo:  I don’t think Moe or Bev are paying attention!

After the briefing, Jutta brings out her lethal rum punch to celebrate her daughter’s birthday.  Eline joined them on Saturday for the foreseeable future.  It’s good to have a chance to chat to some of the people that I have not seen for a while as we arrived here in Darwin so late.  As we still have work to do on the boat, as well as the provisioning, we will be late leaving here and therefore late arriving in Bali.  We seem to be playing catch-up continually at the moment.

Heidi gives me and the laundry a lift back.  My back is tired and aching badly, so it’s blog, drugs then bed!

2 comments:

  1. I hope your back heals up quickly. I know, first-hand, how miraculously debilitating an injured back can be... take care of yourself.

    Fair winds,

    Colin (dirichlet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lovie, Sorry to hear about the back (and the engines) JB is in exactly the same state this morning. A house to build and he can't move a muscle!!! In Darwin there is a a large Chinese population and we saw Deep Tissue massages advertised (It must be the one where they do it with their feet and walk on your back) at a place along the Esplanade. They worked wonders for JBs back, give t a try. Hope it s better soon. Big hug Olly x

    ReplyDelete