19 August 2010

Day 225: Cairns to Lizard Island, Australia – 19/08/10

Oh boy.  Am I glad we weren’t planning on the Daintree River trip today.  The weather is nasty even here in Cairns.  Mike and Casey return the car and check out of the marina and we are ready to leave by 10 am.  Just before we go Mike rings his mum to wish her a happy birthday.

What a different picture it is leaving, to the one when we arrived two days ago.  Cairns, like any other place, looks miserable in the grey drizzle.  After a couple of hours though, most of the mist disappears and it becomes brighter although the haze never leaves.

I go back to bed after a while.  I’m feeling a bit low and as usual my reaction is to curl up in bed and cry a bit.  It’s just the enormity of what is still left to do.  I know that most people treated Mackay as the half way mark but it isn’t really, not in miles or duration.  In reality it’s somewhere between Darwin and Bali.  On top of that, I have visited all the places I really want to go to and whilst I am glad to have the opportunity of visiting the rest, they certainly are not on my bucket list.  And the amount of bloody sailing in between is daunting for me.  People are putting the frighteners on me about the Indian Ocean and going around the Horn of Africa, without realising how scared I already am.  The only certain thing is that I won’t give up!  That’s just not in my nature.  I wish it was sometimes!!  I fall asleep, and when I wake up I feel better and Heidi has made lunch.  Filling my stomach always helps.

It’s a hot and hazy afternoon.  Mike and Casey takes turns to nap and I take the opportunity of a little sunbathing.

P1030457 Photo:  Heidi and Casey on the side deck of Jeannius

The sunset, when it arrives, is hidden behind the clouds, but the light formations in those clouds is quite beautiful.

P1030448 Photo:  Different colour for a sunset

 

Our position is:  15 deg 41 min S, 145 deg 22 min E

Distance so far:  11011 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment