30 April 2009

Culebra, Day 2

Mike wakes up early and puts the cheese and ham croissants in the oven so when I eventually come to, a delicious smell is permeating the boat.  Sadly for us, the weather is favourable for Kev and Jo and they have already departed.

Two cups of tea, a croissant and another 80 or so pages of my unputdownable book later, I am coaxed out of bed (remember, these couple of weeks are a holiday!) and we go in search of the internet cafe as we are still unable to get connected to any of the many unsecured systems here.

The lady in Excetera is very friendly and a mine of information.  Mike spends nearly an hour in there while I interrupt her work with chatter but eventually we leave and go exploring.

We spot Pandeli, and pop in to buy a couple of Culebran pasties.  They are delicious.  We go to the ferry dock and see one loaded with lorries, its loading ramp down and the front of a lorry hanging over.  We presume that the ferry has just arrived and they are waiting for the tide to come in a bit more so that the ramp can be lowered properly, because how can the ramp be fully closed with the front of the lorry hanging nearly a foot over it?  We turn away for a few minutes and when we look back, the ferry has left.  Amazing.

DSCN1576

Photo:  Culebra ferry dock

Being nearly lunchtime, we look for a suitable watering hole and decide upon Mamacitas on Castelar Street near the bridge and overlooking the water at the rear.  The food is excellent.

DSCN1577 Photo:  Mamacitas overlooking the water.

In the afternoon, I sit down and start work. Our blog is born, and at this point, most of it is entered very retrospectively (don’t be fooled by the dates!).  I try to do it as Jo has shown me.  Luckily, Mike, being far more technical with me, “guides” me through the process.  This involves much tutting and shaking of head on his part, which I dutifully ignore and carry on in my own sweet way.  I allow him to censor me occasionally and bow to his superior knowledge of nautical terminology.

No comments:

Post a Comment