16 April 2010

Day 101: Nuku Hiva, Marquesas to Manihi, Tuamotus – 16/04/10

Mike wakes me at midnight for my watch.  We are still sailing along very slowly and still with no engine on but at least it makes for an uneventful watch.  For the first half an hour I lie on one of the cockpit cushions and watch the stars as they and the Milky Way are so clear tonight.  For the rest of the time I watch TV.

During Mike’s second watch we get a huge downpour from one of the passing squalls and we even get 30 knots of wind out of it although I sleep right through it.

P1000160 Photo:  Squall on the horizon

We hear Chessie and Tucanon on the SSB.  Both are now heading for islands in the Tuamotus further south than us and both have the same zero winds as us but they are both motoring, while we continue to sail pathetically slowly.

P1000161 Photo:  The never-ending job of tidying ropes!

The day passes with nothing to watch except the flapping sails.  The upside is that you can’t possibly get sea sick when the conditions are like this!  There are constant squalls on the horizon which show up on the radar as big yellow blobs, but we manage to sail right through the middle of them.  I do the first watch, waking Mike at midnight to relieve me.

 

Our position is:  10 deg 53 min S, 142 deg 14 min W

Distance so far:  5940 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment