05 December 2009

Grenada Day 3

At 3 am Mike gets up to use the bathroom and comes face to face with the most enormous cockroach he has ever seen.  He sprays it with bug killer but that just serves to make it mildly annoyed and instead of scuttling into a corner it rampages around the room and into the bedroom where I am awakened my Mike slapping it with his shoe.  He is successful in killing it.  I just hope that it was a parent and not a child!

We arrange a lift to the boatyard.  Work should be starting today but it doesn’t.  Every day will cost us $150 in hotel and food bills so I get pretty fed up with the non-activity.  Mike is more philosophical and knows that it will be done when it’s done.  I still rally against ‘manyana’.

P1000987P1000988 Photo:  Jeannius out of the water

Mike starts some work on the boat, putting the new port hole knobs on.  I do a bit of re-organising then retire to my netbook to start archiving and deleting the hundreds of e-mails which I have stored.  We go for lunch at the waterside bar.  Not much on offer today – burger or pilaf.  We have one of each.  By 1.30 we have run out of things to do.  There is so much we can’t do.  With the boat out of the water we can’t use the generator so lack of air conditioning means that we can’t do anything strenuous inside otherwise you would sweat to death.  No sea water to cool the fridge and freezer so we can’t use them so although we have food on board, we have nothing perishable to eat which makes cooking something vaguely edible difficult.  We can’t use the toilets and any water I flush out of the kitchen sink lands straight on anyone who happens to be under the boat although there’s not much chance of that today!

P1000992 Photo:  Work done for the day, we wait for our lift back to the hotel

On the way back, Samantha, our driver, points out a vendor selling live land crabs.  She says they are delicious, a local thing.  They are all hanging on a stick, claws waving.  I wish I had stopped to take a photo.

We have another afternoon nap then I spend time at the bar using the hotel wifi to Skype home.  Mike works on the PC and I start the blog again, always difficult when I have let it slip for a few days.

Dinner is the last of our meat pies out of the fridge and our entertainment is another two episodes of ‘The Worst Week Of My Life’.  I fall asleep to the sound of the waves.  At least they drown out the sound of Mike’s snoring (and probably mine!).

3 comments:

  1. Queen blog reader here!! I am so glad to see it up and going again! I've just read the entire thing starting at Worcester and ending at today. Your photos of your family were great. Seems like a great time was had almost everyday. Lots of wonderful food, wine, and catching up.

    Your cottage looks so beautiful..except for the cockroach. I would have gone screaming our of the room. They don't grow them that big any place else other than the Caribbean. It make me shudder just thinking about them!

    Well, it is great to see you back and I look forward to hearing how you both are. Give Mike our love.

    Heather XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it home safe and sound. Sorry to read about the "needed" work. You and Mike stay safe.

    Doug & Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, so glad you made it back but sorry to hear about Jeannius. Heather, a note on cockroach... they are HUGE here in SC. So when you come and visit, be ware. And they fly!!! We call them Palmetto Bugs... it just sounds better!
    Looking forward to reading your blog again Jean. Give Mike a hug for me!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete