28 October 2012

Day 107: Charleston, SC – 28/10/12

Normality is restored.  When I wake up there is a bright blue sky, no clouds although it is quite windy.  Sandy has definitely moved on to wreck havoc further north.  From what we read in the news we got away very lightly because she passed so far out to sea but those close to where she will hit land will not be so fortunate.

We get on with some jobs today.  Mike takes the shuttle into town to get one of our propane tanks filled and I do some stainless steel polishing inside and general cleaning around.  In the afternoon, Steven, the captain from Cattitude comes down to look at our cupboard of a boat.  They had been intending to leave today but with a virtually new crew, he didn’t want to make them all ill on their first day out as it is still quite rough out at sea, so they will leave early in the morning.  I’m glad we are not leaving until Tuesday – it will give the weather and the sea longer to settle and even though we are going inland through the ICW to Savannah, I want to make sure that the water levels are well and truly back to normal before we attempt any bridges.  The high tide water level is still one foot above normal here today and we have three 65-foot bridges to argue with before we get to Savannah!

In the late afternoon we scrub the cockpit but not the decks.  We will wait for the last fly over of the birds before doing the rest of the boat.

P1130412 Photo:  Another beautiful sunset

I have been looking at my stores recently.  We will only be on the boat for another six weeks at the most and I am beginning to panic that I have too many expensive frozen goods that I will just have to eat – and get even fatter!  I don’t think that we’ll be going out so much in the near future and I must remember to stop buying.  I’m normally so good at getting the provisioning right.

 

Position:  32 deg 46 min N, 79 deg 57 min W

Distance so far:  3276 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment