22 October 2012

Day 101: Beaufort, NC to Charleston, SC – 22/10/12

It’s a calm, uneventful night and I even get some sleep when I am supposed to.

We are accompanied by dolphins most of the day although they are not very exciting.  Still it is nice to have company.  We also start to see flying fish for the first time and although they are as lethargic as the dolphins I am glad because it means that I will not have to heave their stiff little bodies over the side after they land accidently on one of their forays into the air.

P1130280 Photo:  Dolphins swim alongside us

I have looked for my bag of shells a couple of times over the last few days and not come across it.  Today I remember to ask Mike if he has put it anywhere.  At first he looks puzzled then a worried expression comes over his face as he asks me if they were in a plastic bag on the chart table.  Yes they were.  Apparently he thought they were rubbish and threw the bag away before we left Ocracoke the other day – his excuse – it was dark.  He will pay – literally – for bigger and better next time I see them!  Stupid boy.

By the afternoon we have to start slowing the boat down so as not to arrive at Charleston in the dark.  We are already going pretty slow due to their being practically no wind but we slow down to around 4 knots.  Charleston is a huge port with big ships and tugs going in and out all the time.  The waters are going to be very busy so a good light is necessary if you are not familiar with the area.

The day passes pleasantly.  Our AIS is working better than it ever has and we can receive information on ships from over 15 miles away – more than adequate warning.

Our only irritation is the flies.  Now I don’t know how these little blighters got here – I can believe a few were on board when we left Beaufort but we killed those yesterday.  Today we have about 6 more, not horrible big things or anything but small, house fly sort of things but the little buggers bite.  Still, by early evening we have killed them all although Mike manages to catch the swatter on the side of the boat and drop it in the sea.  Flip flops will have to be the method of extermination from now on!

 

Position:  32 deg 52 min N, 79 deg 08 min W

Distance so far:  3232 miles

1 comment:

  1. Might I recommend Daddy's flip-flop for fly extermination? It served me pretty well if I recall :)

    ReplyDelete