20 July 2012

Day 7: Tortola, BVI to Bermuda – 20/07/12

It’s a bumpy old night and I don’t sleep well – again.  Just as I am preparing to go to bed for my morning catch-up (huh, fat chance) Mike shouts that there is something very big swimming alongside the boat.  I rush out to look.  At first we think it’s a whale, but as it moves to the bow and we get a proper look, we can see that it’s a HUGE dolphin, the biggest one we’ve ever seen.

It’s soon joined by a second one, just as large, then maybe a third – it’s difficult to tell because they keep moving out of sight.

They swim right at the surface and one of them keeps tapping the side of the boat with his tail.  I am at the bow seat, leaning over, and he rolls slightly to one side looking up at me.  I’ve never seen them do this before, but he really is looking.  Then I hear him making high pitched squeaks – again the first time I have ever heard it although I’ve heard it on wildlife stuff.  I can see the thin stream of bubbles coming from his blow hole which an indication of when he is going to surface, but in my excitement, I just take photos (which are crap) and forget about the video facility – duh!

P1100342 Photo:  One hell of a dolphin

Of course, excitement before bed means no sleep, and along with all the banging and crashing, I only last an hour or so before giving up and joining Mike in the cockpit.

I spend the next hour cutting up and freezing all my fresh vegetables – onions, garlic, tomatoes and ginger.  As with most places, they don’t like the fresh stuff, and if the customs people come on board they just might take it.

By noon, Bermuda is well in sight but all you can see though is a low island covered in white buildings.  Ten miles out and there are sea vessels galore – tankers, liners, sports fishing boats - but no other yachts.

At 1 pm Mike calls Bermuda radio to announce our imminent arrival.  We are greeted by a Scotsman who acknowledges that he has received our paperwork and we are free to come in and dock at the customs and immigration dock at St Georges.  We are confused by the time though.  Although Bermuda is dead north of the BVIs, they are an hour ahead, so now we are four hours behind the UK and not five.  Oh well.  No matter.

We follow the channel into the cut – literally a cut in the land to allow the boats through and make our way to the customs office on Ordnance Island.  There is no one there to take our lines and I realise that I will have to jump from the boat onto the concrete dock – in flip flops as I have yet to find my deck shoes.  This could be interesting, especially as obviously the ferry is due in and there are loads of people on the opposite side with nothing to do but watch me.

Luckily, there are no mishap, although I bugger the line up and it tries to unravel itself resulting in me having to stand and hold it to stop Jeannius pulling away.  After a couple of minutes Mike manages to bring the bow around and jump off himself to tie the other end on too.  Phew, job done!

The formalities are completed quickly, efficiently and in a very friendly manner.  They even give me tourist information stuff to save me having to walk around the corner to get it.

P1100362Photo:  Against the customs dock

We move from the dock and anchor in St George’s Harbour.  We could go and explore but are both too knackered.  Bermuda will be there tomorrow!  We are still unsure how long we will spend here.  It was just intended as a bit of breathing and sleeping space -  somewhere to re-fuel and top up our supplies, but from our vantage point and after reading the blurb, we might like a little longer to explore.  I guess it all depends on the weather!

 

Position:  32 degs 22 mins N, 64 degs 40 mins W

Distance so far:  841 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment