18 July 2012

Day 5: Tortola, BVI to Bermuda - 18/07/12

Today we have more of the same except we use one engine for most of it instead of two.  For a short while, we turn them off completely, which is bliss as it coincides with my morning nap.  I lie in bed and all I can hear is the gentle lapping of the boat moving through the water.  No waves crashing against the boat.  No bouncing up and down over short, choppy waves.  Just smoothness.  For just a little while.

I discover a stowaway.  Having been completely mosquito bite-free for two weeks in the BVI (unheard of even with the application of noxious chemicals and the wearing of long trousers), I discover two mosquito bites and Mike finds one.  A little bugger has joined us on the trip.  His days are numbered though.  One more bite and I’m spraying the boat.

I see two vapour trails crisscrossing the sky today and then … great excitement – suddenly on the horizon I see a vision of skyscrapers and even though I know it’s a container ship or liner, it really does look like a huge city.  It’s about 12 miles away and never comes any closer, just goes across our path on its way to America.

In the early evening I am transfixed by the sunset and if that’s not beautiful enough, the reflection on the opposite horizon is even more awe inspiring.  Huge columns of cumulus clouds tower all around us, their tops billowing out and spreading like huge atomic mushroom clouds. 








Photos:  Beautiful cloud formations fill the sky

At first it’s just the shape which is beautiful but in the setting sun, the reflections turn from shades of pale gold, dusky pink and lilac to deep gold and blood red.  Even the sea turns red.  I sit for nearly an hour watching this continual transformation.  How lucky am I to see this picture of Mother Nature in all her magnificent beauty?









Photos:  Can they get more beautiful?



Our position is:   29 degs, 31 mins N, 64 degs 37 mins W

Distance so far:  687 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment