18 March 2010

Day 72: Galapagos to Hiva Oa, Marquesas – 18/03/10

What a ghastly day.  Actually, as far as the weather is concerned, it turns out to be one of the nicest for ages;  clear blue skies and a few white fluffy clouds – the seas is decidedly lively but what’s new?  No, it’s not the weather, it’s lack of sleep.

When Mike gets up at the end of my watch, I go down to catch up on my sleep but it doesn’t come, and I lie there for four hours, wriggling and getting increasingly frustrated.  On top of that the large dose of ibuprofen that I took for the headache has set my stomach pains off again, although it does cure the headache.  I need my sleep and I just don’t cope well without it.  By lunchtime I have gone 36 hours with only 3 hours of sleep.  As I lie in tears of mounting frustration, I begin to understand how sleep deprivation can be used as torture.  I keep apologising to Mike about being weak and pathetic and he is very patient with me.

Eventually I give in and take a tablet to knock me out, although this only lasts a few hours.  Of course, the real down side of me being in bed all day means that poor Mike has to cope alone and he is the one with the double watch tonight.

While I am asleep, Ronja sails close by.  Again all that ocean and here we are, separated by just 50 yards!

IMGP2520 Photo:  Ronja sailing on our port side

Are we nearly there yet?  Not quite.  Just under another 1000 miles to go (5 or 6 days) and it can’t come soon enough.

 

Our position is:  08 deg 01 min S, 122 deg 25 min W

Distance so far:  4620 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment