15 March 2010

Day 69: Galapagos to Hiva Oa, Marquesas – 15/03/10

Another grey start, definitely not what was ordered and the seas are still uncomfortably lumpy although amazingly, while we are heaving all over the place (as opposed to me heaving over the side) I am able to get a few e-mails done ready for when Mike connects to the internet.  A few squalls pass over, one with quite a lot of rain which washes off the salt, but it is immediately replaced by more salt from the waves crashing over the side of the boat.

We discover that the boats last night were in fact Korean fishing boats.  Dreamcatcher has a computer system which allows them to receive information about boats in their vicinity such as name, country or origin, course and speed.

Wandering out into the cockpit, I notice fish scales on one of the side cushions and start to look around for the culprit.  It takes me a while to find him, lying dead and stiff in the bucket of plantains (you know, those things Mike thought were bananas) under the cockpit table.  He must have been slung onto the side and flapped around enough to fall from the seat into the bucket.  Judging by the number of scales deposited all around the bucket and over the plantain themselves, he put up quite a fight trying to get out.  Yuk.

IMGP2499 Photo:  Death amongst the plantains

I make a quick bake loaf and chuck in raw garlic, sundried tomatoes and oregano, then head back to bed until the smell of it proves too much and I have to get up.  Mike and I never wait until it’s cold – we just dive straight in and before we know it, half a loaf has gone.

We stay in our little group of yachts all day;  us, Dreamcatcher, Noeluna and Ronja.

I start to feel a little seasick after lunch and take to my bed, staying there until around 6 pm, just resting and dozing.  I am doing the double watch tonight.

 

Our position is:  06 deg 24 min S, 113 deg 47 min W

Distance so far:  4076 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment