21 February 2010

Day 47: Ecuador to Galapagos – 21/02/10

My second watch is uneventful, but so calm I get to watch more TV which means that the time passes quickly.

The day follows in a lazy haze.  It is still so calm that I am able to lie on my bed for most of the morning and watch TV – so much more comfortable than lying in the cockpit.  I only get up when Mike calls to say that Jim has got the lunch ready.

Again I stay in the cockpit during part of the afternoon while Mike and Jim sleep.  I keep imagining that I hear whales but is is the sound of the water hitting the stern steps, although each time I hear it I sit up and scan my surroundings.  There is nothing around.  I do see whales in the distance once today – two of them – but they are just fins and rounded backs in the distance.

We get quite a decent speed out of a very small amount of wind. mainly due to the new contraption that Mike and Jim have arranged to hold the boom out further.  The $200 that Mike spent on a couple of new blocks was apparently money well spent – I keep hearing that – justification for getting a tiny bit more speed – and it’s all coming out of my pear necklace fund – NOT!

Towards the evening the weather starts to change.  The wind picks up a bit and there are a series of squalls showing on the radar.  I’m glad I’m only doing one watch tonight.  At least our speed today ensures that we will be arriving in daylight at San Christobal tomorrow.

Our position is:  1 deg 08 min S, 88 deg 42 min W

Distance so far:  2508 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment