02 February 2010

Day 28: Panama to Ecuador – 02/02/10

What a lazy day.

When I eventually emerge from my cabin Mike says he is going over to see Susan and David on Voyageur to see if he can find out any more about the islands.  I decide to go over as well so that I can have a dinghy lesson.

I hate driving the dinghy and Mike, contrary to what he believes, is a terrible teacher.  I clamber in and am impressed when I pull the cord and it starts first time.  It never does this.  It obviously knows who’s master!!  Steering it, however, is another matter – there are just too many things to do with just one hand.  Push or pull the stick thing, twist the bit on the end towards you or away from you – they all do different things, and my brain finds it all very hard.  Give me a decent manual car any day!!!

Anyway, despite Mike’s instructions I manage to steer us over to Voyageur without hitting anything, and only just bump the side of their boat very gently with our rubber nose, then we climb onboard and are rewarded with drinks and biscuits.

When we leave, we go for a ride around the bay to check out the snorkelling then head back to Jeannius.  I almost get it right but kill the engine a bit too quick and we drift past but Mike catches hold of her and pulls us round.  I jump off.  Piece of cake!!  Mmmmmm.

Mike heads off in the dinghy again for a spot of snorkelling, but I don’t go with him as I am worried that the current may be too strong for me.  When he comes back he tells about the three turtles and the 3 foot long pipe fish he has seen, along with the usual assortment of sergeant  majors and parrot fish etc.

Lunch is the tuna that defrosted itself in the freezer when it stopped working the other day.  I cooked it yesterday, and today I decide to make a sort of pate, and mince it with garlic and some onion mayonnaise.  With lovely fresh tomatoes it makes a good sandwich.  Mike sticks to a beer accompaniment (good job as the beer wallah forgot to put further beers in the fridge and we are down to two cold ones) and Jim joins me in a glass of wine, then we finish the bottle.  This calls for me to go to bed rather earlier than usual for my afternoon nap!

When I get up we have a change of scenery.  We have arrived in the anchorage between Isla Chapera and Isla Mogo Mogo (what a wonderful name – I promise I haven’t made that up).

Jim decides to do a bit of line fishing and puts the line out first on the port side, giving it a little tug every now and then, and then out on the starboard side.  When nothing happens, he gets bored and ignores it.  However, Mike goes over, tugs the line and says there is something on it.  Pulling the line up, sure enough, there’s a puffer fish on the end.  The poor thing has probably been on there for a while, and we certainly don’t want to eat it so Mike goes for the fish hook release thingy.  While he is attempting to get the poor thing off the hook, the puffer fish puffs himself up to full capacity, trying to look scary.  He fails, and eventually Mike releases him and he swims away.

P1020298 Photo:  All puffed up and spiny ……

P1020299Photo:  …… then back to normal

The evening brings us another glorious sunset, and since I haven’t taken any sunset photos for a few days, I take some now, and compare them with Jim’s – yes, we are still doing that!

P1020305 Photo:  Sunset in the Las Perlas islands

After dinner we watch ‘Galaxy Quest’ at Jim’s insistence.  Mike and I, haters of science fiction and certainly not fans of Star Trek, prepare to be bored silly but actually laugh out loud.  What a surprise!  Oh, and nobody felt ill after the tuna!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment