15 March 2011

Day 433: Brazil to Grenada – 15/03/11

We continue to motor throughout the night and the squalls keep us company.  However, by the time Mike gets up the wind has changed round to the north east enough for us to get the genoa out and sail.  Within a couple of hours, not only are we heading in the right direction but the wind gives us speeds of over 7 knots consistently.  Hurray!  At long last!

Our weather report leads us to believe this will continue for the next 3 days but doesn’t go further than that.  However, Graham from Eowyn reports on the net that his weather report expects it to last for the next week.  Let’s hope so.

The wind may have changed but the grey is still with us, albeit not of the wet variety in that is doesn’t rain but the sea state makes up for it, sending crests of broken waves over the starboard side of the boat and into the cockpit.  No chance of lunch outside again,

I sleep well in the morning and Mike manages a good few hours in the afternoon.  Late on I am promoted from chief bucket holder to senior human shield although this may be a sideways step.  Mike needs something to actually block the waves from crashing over the satellite phone in the bucket – and my naked back is apparently broad enough to do the job.  I sit there in the howling wind, covered in goose bumps and moaning like mad.  Luckily my back escapes the waves so Mike escapes severe damage to his nether regions!

There is yet again no discernable sunset – there’s just too much cloud cover, although I just can see a bit of brightness in the cracks of the cloud mass.

It’s a bit bumpy when I go to bed.  I can always tell how bad the sea is by how much my boobs jiggle by themselves when I lie flat on my back.  It can be quite disconcerting to see all that activity when the rest of me is lying still!

So, another grey, boring day but at least our increased speed means that there may be fewer boring days on this passage than we feared yesterday.

 

Our position is:  01 deg 58 min N, 41 deg 08 min W

Distance so far:  23164 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment