29 September 2009

St David’s Bay, Day 1

As this is my last full day here before going back to the UK, there is lots to be done, the trouble is, there is no room to do it in.  Mike and I attempt to tidy up but with the cabin stuff all over the place it’s hard.  Trying to sweep around mattresses that are taking up one and a half feet of a three feet passageway is a bugger!

Mike goes ashore to make arrangements for a hire car for tomorrow.  We have decided that as we need some bits from chandleries (when don’t we?) and I need to get to the airport, it will be cheaper than getting a taxi.   While he is gone, I clean all four bathrooms, my favourite job.  Not!

After lunch we are still acting like headless chickens so we decide to do something constructive – the laundry.  We find the very clean laundry at the boat yard, two washers, one dryer and all in much better condition than anywhere else we have been, but it all takes so long.  Although we buy two drying tokens, we only have time to use one as Mike has to go off into St George’s to buy a temporary driving licence to be able to rent a car here.  So we cut the drying short, Mike takes me back to Jeannius with wet towels but dry bed linen then goes back to sort out the licence.

The towels have only been hanging out for about fifteen minutes when it starts raining and I have to dash out and bring them all back in.  At least the air conditioning is on so I hang them all out over doors to dry.  It’s just so typical.  It has looked like it was about to rain all day, then immediately I decide it isn’t going to, it does.

P1000737Photo:  Threatening rain in St David’s Bay

I have been worrying about how my clothes will fare while the boat is hauled out and Mike is away for two weeks.  My concern is I will come back to them covered in mould.  Jeannius is a dry boat, and as long as we dry her out even more using the air conditioning before Mike leaves we should be OK.  To make sure though, Mike buys a couple of packs of dehumidifying crystals to put in the wardrobes.  I do hope they work.

We have to take our bed apart to get at our bags which are stored underneath.  What a pain.  Then I pack, probably more than I need to but there is a chance I might go to Spain during my trip back to the UK with Johanne and Steve so have to take a few clothes just in case.  I think thermals will be needed for the UK!  Even if it’s not that cold, it will feel it to me.

So, that’s it from me for a few weeks.  Don’t expect Mike to write anything because he won’t!  Blighty here I come!!!

P1000734 

Photo:  Goodbye from Grenada

5 comments:

  1. Safe Travels Jean! That's a beautiful parting picture of you!! Love to Mike.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I hate these intermissions!!! Can't wait for the next enthralling episode. Being in Antigua for a week and a half should help pass the time ;-)

    Stay safe you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are you back?! Miss reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking Lovely there Jean. Tell Mike we all said hi. We're STILL boring people with storys of that trip. Who cares! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments, guys. Never thought so many people would read something that I started doing for just a handful! My return trip has been delayed as there is so much for me to do and so many people to see. Will now be joining Mike in Grenada on 2 December. Thanks for reading!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete