28 April 2009

Jost Van Dyke to Culebra

Aiming to set sail from Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke, at around 8 am, impressively (for me anyway), we manage to get away by 8.15. The forecast for the day is for overcast skies with gentle 15-20 knot winds behind us. In reality, the winds are 20-34 knots (peaking at 38.5 knots) all the way over to Culebra, although they are right about the direction and the clouds!

Although we leave in tandem with Kevin and Jo just 50 yards away, we quickly part company. As it is so rough inshore, Kevin decides to go further offshore but it makes no difference – we both have the same conditions – lumpy, lurching, multi-directional waves that make for quite an uncomfortable ride, and make me feel quite seasick at times.

Mike decides to try a spot of fishing with the new line and lure that Kevin has prepared for us. Even though it was a ‘lucky’ lure, it doesn't work for us and we catch nothing. The line has a great time though. It jumps and leaps and gets itself so tangled that Mike eventually has to pull it in by hand and cut off hundreds of yards.

We sail into Dewey after 5 or so hours, pleased to see that the evil-looking reef is so obvious and set the anchor. Mike goes for a trundle around in the dinghy while I, in time honoured fashion, have a little nap!

When I wake up, there is still no sign of Mike, so I take the opportunity of using all the hot water for my shower. As I finish, Mike clatters onto the boat announcing that we have dinner guests arriving in 45 minutes. I emerge 15 minutes later, hair dried and straightened, dressed and made up (sort of) and immediately realise my mistake. Mike now knows how quickly I can do this when it suits me and will probably expect this speed all the time.

Kev and Jo arrive on the dot. The table is laid, the music is on and the tiger prawns are just about defrosted and ready to cooked in butter, garlic and chilli. There is plenty of Sauvignon Blanc and I am a happy cook. We spend another happy evening in Kev and Jo's company, sad that they are leaving tomorrow to head north while we stay in Culebra.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike and Jean, Great to see the blog up and running! Just arrived in Dominican Republic, a dorado and a tuna on the way... keep practicing Mike! Hope you are enjoying the Spanish VIs. Kev & Jo

    ReplyDelete