12 October 2011

Bequia to Antigua: 09/10/11 – 12/10/11

Finally we arrive in the beautiful French islands of Les Saintes.  Unfortunately we can’t anchor where we usually do and have to go a little further out, and while Mike and I potter around, the rest of the crew go ashore to explore.

When they return, Fraser turns the bottom step into a gentleman’s grooming parlour.

013 Photo:  Fraser at his ablutions

We have fresh mahi mahi for dinner along with some more of the breadfruit salad.  I notice at this point, that Fred, coming from the deep south, adds really hot pepper sauce on everything he eats, no matter how hot it starts off.  It’s like my dad used to do with salt – never tasting it first.  I admonish him but he grins at me and just adds more.

DSCN1286 Photo:  Anyone for mahi mahi?

On Monday I go in search of my lovely little hairdresser here.  Every time I have visited these islands she cuts my hair and I have never been disappointed even though she invariably does it a tad short.  Unfortunately it’s closed until Wednesday.  Ah well, it’s time to get those scissors out!

P1090554 Photo:  View from the dinghy dock

We leave late in the afternoon for another overnight sail to Antigua.  The sunset is, as usual, pretty impressive.

P1090558 Photo:  Enroute to Antigua

We arrive quite early in the morning and Mike goes ashore to check in before going around the corner to the beautiful historic setting of Nelson’s Dockyard.  The crew go for an island tour and find out that they have a celebrity in their midst.  Fred has been here before, several times, and it appears he is very well known by the locals.  Fred, what are you famous for?  I will find out before the end of the trip!

Being out of season, Nelson’s Dockyard is wonderfully empty, with Jeannius being the only boat moored alongside.

P1090576 P1090587 P1090589 P1090591 P1090593 P1090595 Photos:  Nelson’s Dockyard

The next morning we motor just around the corner to Carlisle Bay where Fraser decides that the grill of death is still just too stinky with fish bits and that it must have another scrub.  So they both go in the sea. 

P1090552 Photo:  Fraser, grooming the boat

Again, we leave in the late afternoon for another overnight sail, this time to St Barts – and hopefully some happy shopping – I have my mind set on some clothes from the the shop at Tom’s Hotel after seeing them modelled (beautifully, I might add) by Heather a few months ago even though I know they won’t look half as good on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment